Fans and Umbrellas

This is a comment that I posted on the blog of a current PCV, Kate, who is serving near Manila in the Philippines.

I was a PCV in the Visayas in the 70's and I always carried a paipai (folding fan) and payon (umbrella). The umbrella was because it was either raining or very sunny and hot! During training (which we had in Vermont) we laughed at our Filipino language teachers who walked around with their umbrellas but I was glad I had my little folding one when I got to my site in Toril, Davao City. I was glad that our house had electricity because my electric fan was one of my most treasured belongings. Good luck with the election thing. We were volunteers when Marcos overthrew his own government. I still say that if you have 3 Filipinos together, you will have 4 political parties.

No comments: